Q. What are the various kinds of floorings?
The purpose of a floor is to provide a horizontal sanitary surface to support the occupants of a building, furniture and equipment. A good floor should have strength and stability, resistance to dampness, good appearance, and freedom from maintenance etc.
Following are the common floor finishes -
1. Cement concrete flooring: It consists of 1:1.5:3 cement concrete laid to a thickness of 3" to 4", over a strong sub base. Top surface is smoothened with cement punning. It has got good wearing properties and can be easily cleaned and maintained. If thickness is less, the size of stone aggregates is limited to Â½"
2. Terrazzo (Marble chips) flooring: It consists of an under layer of cement concrete 1:2:4 (stone aggregates size limited to Â½") of around 1" thickness, and a top layer of containing marble chips of thickness Â¼'' to Â½". The under layer is laid over base concrete, generally, of 1:5:10 or 1:4:8 of 4" thickness.
3. The mix for the topping shall consist of cement with or without pigments, marble powder and marble chips and water. Marble chips would be of size 1mm to 10mm. The proportions of cement and marble powder shall be 3:1 by weight. Ratio of chips to binder would be 1.5:1 to 1.75:1.The floor is ground and polished after 7 to 10 days of curing.
4. Tile flooring: It consists of ceramic, vitrified, terrazzo and cement tiles. Tiles give very pleasant appearance to floors. Also, it can be executed fast. Vitrified and Ceramic tiles have gained popularity over mosaic tiles because it doesn't require grinding and polishing and the appearance is good and the tiles are quite strong.
5. Natural Stone flooring: It consists of Marble, Kota stone, granite, Shahbad stone etc.
6. Vinyl flooring: The least expensive type of flooring, vinyl tile comes in a wide variety of colours and patterns. Since it is quick to install and replace whenever desired, it is commonly laid in drawing rooms. The life of vinyl floor topping is limited.